On February 15, the Toy Industry Association will present their annual TOTY (Toy Of The Year) Awards. On February 12, in recognition of the industry that has led the way in commercializing childhood, CCFC will offer its first annual TOADY (Toys Oppressive And Destructive to Young Children) Award for the worst toy of the year. Who will win the dreaded TOADY? It's up to you.
From thousands of toys that promote violence and/or precocious sexuality and/or push branded entertainment and electronic wizardry at the expense of children's play, we've selected five exceptional finalists. The nominees for the 2009 TOADY are:
- A doll that does everything so your kids don't do anything.
- A video game from one of the most trusted names in children's toys that promotes junk food and violence to preschoolers.
- A toy car that rides roughshod over family budgets and the environment.
- An exercise bike/video game system for preschoolers that makes trips to the park - and parents - superfluous.
- A doll that combines two classic symbols of gendered stereotypes into one unbelievable toy.
Who are these nominees? Find out and cast your ballot at: http://
The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood