Sunday, December 21, 2008

Favorite Montessori Books

My friend, Ashleigh, recently asked if I had read any good Montessori books. Although I have not read alot of Montessori books, I have read three *really* good ones that I wanted to share!

Here is my list of favorite Montessori books. I will continue to add to it as I read more.
If you have any you'd suggest, please let me know!

Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius
by Angeline Stoll Lillard
The book is a tad more like a Educational Psychology textbook as it offers alot of studies that confirm the Montessori method. But overall, I love it because is a fabulous book that explains why Montessori is set up the way it is and explains specifics as to where the ideas came from and why they have lasted so long.

Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home from Birth to Age Three
by Paula Polk Lillard and Lynn Lillard Jessen
This is an excellent book for parents who are I wanting to incorporate Montessori into their home. It offers even more practical ideas than the previous book mentioned and outlines how to put them in place. From sleeping to eating, personal care to playing, this book helps with suggestions on how to implement Montessori in the home from the start.

How to Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
by Tom Seldin
This book is one of my favorites because it offers something the previous two books don't: lots of pictures illustrating how the Montessori method is implemented. I have tried a number of different things with Little Bear but I always feel so ackward as I have no example or picture to go from - until now. The book offers less in the way of explanation or research (compared to the books above) but it offers much more in the way of practical ways to incorporate Montessori.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your favorite books, I'll check it soon...

    Happy blogging,

    Toddler Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! I'm gonna check 'em out :)

    ReplyDelete