Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Discipline


No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11

Daddy Bear and I have just started disciplining Little Bear. He's 9 months and it feels so young. But he is also getting to the point where he is beginning to have self-control, albeit very little.

We have both been lamenting how hard it is. When Little Bear gets near the blinds or the dog bowl, I cringe. I don't want to thump him on the hand because I know the times I have, have made him cry. I've been a teacher - so discipline shouldn't be hard. But to make my own child cry is terribly heartbreaking, even when I know it's for his own good.

This has lead me to think of why I discipline - and more importantly how God discipline's me. This verse has come to mind many times in the last 2 weeks:

My child, do not reject the Lord's discipline,
and don't get angry when he corrects you.
The Lord corrects those he loves,
just as parents correct the child they delight in. Proverbs 3:11-12

2 comments:

  1. I am reading through all of your old posts today and will comment on as many as I feel led...since we share SO much in the way of our womanhood/wifehood/motherhood.

    Have you read or heard about Love and Logic? Justin and I are just starting it and it is really great. I really think it falls under all of your expectations for yours and Papa Bear's disciplining objectives as well as your expectations for your children (from what you have posted), as it does ours. I real like that it gives the child responsibility for their actions and teaches them through natural consequences (rather than our lecturing, nagging, anger, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh, I haven't read this book but it's now on my list to buy. I sounds really great! Thanks for your suggestion! I'm so glad to know you and I agree on so much! :)

    ReplyDelete